Bone marrow is a spongy and soft fatty tissue that is inside the bones and is the medium for growth and storage of most of the body’s blood cells. Also, stem cells are immature cells in the bone marrow that rise different blood cells. For the bone marrow transplant, it is the stem cells that are needed. Let us tell you more about the bone marrow transplant.
What is a bone marrow transplant?
A bone marrow transplant is a process to replace damaged or else destroyed bone marrow stem cells with healthy bone marrow stem cells. The goal of this transplant is to transfuse healthy cells into a patient’s body after the patient’s own unhealthy bone marrow are treated to destroy the abnormal cells. The main aim of a bone marrow transplant to treat diseases and many types of cancer.
Why is a bone marrow transplant needed?
There is a need for bone marrow transplant when a disease has destroyed the bone marrow of the patient’s body. The transplant is done to :
Replace diseased bone marrow to healthy and functioning marrow.
To treat a disease that affects the production of bone marrow cells
To regenerate a new immune system that helps fight existing leukemia or else many other cancers that cannot be killed by radiation or chemotherapy.
To replace bone marrow and make it functional after high doses of chemo.
Types of bone marrow transplants
There are many types of bone marrow transplants and are classified as per the donor. Below are some types :
- Autologous bone marrow transplant – when a donor is the patient itself, and it is taken from a patient’s own cells.
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant – in this type, the donor is selected based on their genetic match with the patient.
- Siblings – the donor is the brother or sister of the patient and is the best among all the choices.
- Parent/Children – the best match is this a donor is the parent of the patient.
- Unrelated bone marrow transplants – in this type, the donor will be unrelated and will be found from bone marrow registries.
- Umbilical cord blood transplant- in this type, cells are taken from umbilical cord instantly after delivery of an infant. These cells are tested, counted, and frozen until they are required.
All about the donor for bone marrow transplant
For Allogeneic Transplant, there is a need for a suitable HLA matched donor. Here HLA is human leukocyte antigen which is used to match suitable donor for bone marrow transplant. An ideal donor is whom HLA matches closely with the patient’s HLA. An ideal donor is a person whose HLA matches well with the patient’s HLA, and the best possible chance to get close HLA is from siblings. Siblings are the first best donor for bone marrow transplant . in case siblings are not there patient’s ideal donor can be half-matched HLA individual, and that can be parents or children. Half HLa comes from mother, and half HLa comes from father, so it is the next best possible choice for bone marrow donors.
Bone marrow transplant survival rates
In India, bone marrow transplants have emerged as one of the major success stories and is proved to be a life-saving treatment option for people who have developed cancer and other blood-related diseases. As per many studies, it is proved that bone marrow transplant has shown improved survival rates upto 85 percent in several forms of cancers.
Best bone marrow transplant hospitals in India
Below are some of the best bone marrow hospitals in India :
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi
- Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata
India is now a leading nation in terms of bone marrow transplant and stem cell transplant worldwide. There are several bone marrow transplant hospitals in India which offers affordable and successful transplant services. With the help of this procedure, you can get your original health back and can also tackle dangerous diseases, including cancer. It is extremely important to choose the best specialist for the bone marrow transplant procedure and also to ensure the quality of transport along with its cost.