Touching a pregnant woman’s belly is as inappropriate as speeding a car on the main road
Now that you’re pregnant for months, it is obvious that your stomach will come out, showing signs of the fact that there is a living being in there, it’s little hands and feet growing inside you and a fluttering heart keeping him alive. It’s magical that you, a seemingly ordinary person can create such a miracle.
Even though your hormone levels shoot up making you crave food and sex all the time, which is not a problem, but this is the time when you turn you into an irritable human being who is always complaining and with reasons of course!
Why is this a difficult time for you?
- First of all creating a full functioning 7-8 pounds of a human is not easy. Your body is exhausted taking care of not only your own body but now another human as well.
- The constant urge to urinate can make any sane person lose their minds. How pregnant women survive this torture is a mystery in itself. The increased blood flow makes the kidneys produce up to 25% more urine than usual.
- This is the most annoying part about pregnancy. The constant touching of your belly. Sometimes you just wish you could scream “don’t touch my pregnant belly, it’s not right,” but alas before you even know that someone is coming towards you, the deed has already been done, a creepy stranger has touched you without asking your permission in the guise of being friendly.
It’s understandable that everyone wants to be a part of a miracle, but there should be a few boundaries that must be established.
- There is something called personal space. What is it about an inflated belly carrying a life inside it that makes common-sense and respect for privacy fly out of the door?
- Whether it’s a person walking his dog or a pregnant woman walking in the supermarket you must always ask someone before you touch them or their pets. It’s not a matter of respect but a matter of decency. It’s understandable that you find this entire process fascinating but you must keep in mind that a pregnant woman faces this everyday and it’s not a very pleasant feeling for her.
- ‘Why?’ you may ask. Well imagine if random strangers start touching your belly and feeling it up. It’s outright harassment right? Now imagine a pregnant woman’s plight. Just like a girl walking in a pair of shorts is not asking to be groped or molested, similarly a pregnant woman is not asking you to touch her belly just because it’s out there.
Very recently a man touching pregnant woman’s belly was charged with harassment in Pennsylvania. Although he was surprised and shocked, women who have been pregnant all over the world believe that this was long overdue. Something like this should have happened in the past and strict laws must be passed to make the touching of pregnant women’s bellies absolutely illegal.